When selecting a sectional door for your property, the choice between manual and automatic is an important consideration. Both door systems vary in functionality, convenience and cost. Understanding the differences between manual and automatic sectional doors will help you choose the ideal system for your family’s needs.
Table of Contents
Manual Sectional Doors
These doors are manually operated by the user, usually by lifting or pulling the door to open or close it. They do not require any electrical power or automation to function.
Pros of Manual Sectional Doors
- Affordability: Manual sectional doors are often more budget-friendly compared to their automatic counterparts. They generally involve fewer components and less complex mechanisms, resulting in a lower upfront cost.
- Simplicity: With a manual lock and handle, you have direct control over opening and closing the door without relying on electricity or any additional automation.
- Reliability: Manual doors are less prone to malfunctioning. In the event of a power outage, you can still access your property without any inconvenience.
Cons of Manual Sectional Doors
- Physical Effort: The main drawback of manual sectional doors is the physical effort required to operate them. Depending on the size and weight of the door, it can be inconvenient to manually lift and lower it.
- Limited Features: Manual sectional doors lack the advanced features that automatic doors offer. You won’t have the luxury of remote-controlled operation, automatic locking or integrated security systems.
Automatic Sectional Doors
These doors are equipped with an electric motor and automation system that allows for seamless operation. Automatic sectional doors offer a range of advanced features.
Pros of Automatic Sectional Doors
- Convenience: Automatic sectional doors provide unmatched convenience. With the touch of a button or a remote control, you can effortlessly open or close the door without leaving your vehicle.
- Enhanced Security: Automatic sectional doors often come equipped with advanced security features such as rolling code technology and safety sensors. These features provide added protection against unauthorised access.
- Additional Features: Automatic doors offer a range of additional features that enhance functionality and ease of use. These may include integrated lighting, smartphone compatibility and timers for automated opening and closing.
Cons of Automatic Sectional Doors
- Higher Cost: Automatic sectional doors are generally more expensive than manual options. The cost includes not only the door itself but also the motor, sensors and other components for automation.
- Dependence on Electricity: Automatic sectional doors require a stable power supply to function. In the event of a power outage, you may need a backup power source or a manual override system to ensure continued access to your property.
Making the Right Choice
Ultimately, the choice between manual and automatic sectional doors depends on your specific needs, preferences and budget. Consider the following factors when making your decision:
- Usage Frequency: If you frequently use your sectional door or have multiple users, an automatic system offers greater convenience and time-saving benefits.
- Physical Capabilities: If physical effort is a concern, an automatic door will be the more suitable option, as it eliminates the need for manual lifting and lowering.
- Budget: If you have budget constraints or prioritise affordability, a manual sectional door might be the better choice.
Consult Professionals for Sectional Door Installation
At Gold Coast Door Centre, we offer a range of high-quality automatic and sectional garage doors. Panelift® and Panelift® Icon™ are our most popular automatic sectional doors and are available in a range of colour and design options to suit both modern and traditional homes. If you’re looking for manual options at affordable prices, we also offer the Rollmasta®, Firmadoor® and Roll-A-Door Neo®.
Not sure what option is right for you? Contact us today. Our experienced team can help you make the right choice and ensure a seamless installation process.